Today is Thursday, Sep. 24, 2020

Department of Environmental and Public Health Sciences

Division of Public Health Sciences

Coronavirus COVID-19 Updates:

UC MPH Program Frequently Asked Questions

Is the UC MPH Program accredited?

The UC MPH Program has been accredited since 2012 by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). CEPH is an independent agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit schools of public health, and public health programs outside schools of public health.

Is the UC MPH Program Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) designated?

All UC MPH concentrations are STEM designated. The Classification of Instructional Program (CIP) code used for the UC MPH Program is 51.2202.

Is the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) required?

The UC MPH Program does not require the GRE. The submission of official GRE test scores to a SOPHAS application for review is optional. (UC GRE SOPHAS Code: 7479)

How long is the MPH Program?

The UC MPH Program requires 42 credits. The average time to degree is 2 years. However, it is possible for full-time students to complete the program in as few as three consecutive semesters.

Do you accept part-time students?

The UC MPH program does accept part-time students. The maximum time permitted to complete a master’s degree at the University of Cincinnati is 5 years. Due to the variety of times that MPH program courses are offered (during the daytime, evening, and specific semester), some part-time students may experience scheduling issues.

What semester can I start the program?

The UC MPH program allows admitted students to begin in every semester; Fall (August), Spring (January), and Summer (May). Please note that particular courses are only offered in certain semesters.

What is the deadline to apply?

Spring Semester (January) – December 1st
Summer Semester (May) – April 1st
Fall Semester (August) – August 1st

What sort of academic background do I need to apply to the MPH Program?

Applicants must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited, four-year institution. Applicants from all undergraduate majors are welcome to apply. It is recommended but not required that undergraduate coursework include biological sciences as well as humanities and social sciences.

Do I need work experience?

It is preferred that applicants have a minimum of one calendar year of work experience after earning their undergraduate degree. Volunteer work relevant to the health field such as mission trips, AmeriCorps, summer abroad programs doing community service, or in a local organization may be included as experience.

How long will it take to get an admissions decision?

Once your application is complete and verified in the SOPHAS system you will receive an e-mail notification from the UC Graduate School. Your application is not complete until you pay your UC Graduate School application fee. Once your UC Graduate School application fee is processed, you will be notified of an admission decision within 2-3 weeks.

Is there a deadline for admitted students to inform the program of their decision to enroll?

Yes. It is recommended that accepted applicants provide an electronic decision on their UC Graduate School application within one month from the date of their original offer. We understand that applicants need time to consider all of their options. Applicants who do not reply before the start of classes may forfeit their place in the program.

Additionally, applicants who choose accept their offer and then later choose not to matriculate to the University of Cincinnati must notify the MPH Program Manager to cancel or defer their application.

MPH Program Manager: Angie Glankler 513-558-5777;

Should reference letters be academic or professional?

To be effective, reference letters must show that the referee can explain why your background prepares you for a career in public health and that you will be able to perform well under the rigors of graduate study. Therefore, letters of reference from current or past professors are the best choice. In addition, a letter from a health professional would be more appropriate than a letter from a business professional. However, if you do not have professional references from the general health field, a reference from a past supervisor that addresses your performance on the job and can assess qualities like responsibility, level of maturity, and other elements that will lend to success in graduate school, is entirely appropriate.

Do I need to take the TOEFL if I am international student?

English proficiency is required of all applicants whose native language is not English. Applicants can demonstrate proficiency in one of the following ways:

A. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Minimum TOEFL Internet-Based Score: 80
- Official TOEFL scores must be submitted directly to SOPHAS. (SOPHAS Code: 5688)

B. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Minimum IELTS Overall Band Score: 6.5
- Official IELTS scores must be submitted directly to the University of Cincinnati Graduate School e-download account.
- Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS e-download account:

University of Cincinnati - Graduate School
110 Van Wormer Hall
PO BOX 210627
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0621
United States

C. Duolingo English Test
Minimum Duolingo English Score: 105
- This test is available online, and you do not have to make an appointment or travel to a test center. You can take the test from your home via a computer and webcam.
- Please refer to the Duolingo English Help Center for answers to questions regarding the rules and requirements of the test. Duolingo offers customer support through e-mail and chat available on their website.
- To submit your score, log in to your Duolingo account:
• Scroll down to the results that you would like to share, and click "Send Results"
• Select "University"
• Type in "University of Cincinnati Graduate Programs" and click the checkbox; press "Next"
• Confirm that your information is correct and submit

Can I transfer courses that I took at another University?

Each course will be examined on a case by case basis by the MPH Program Director.

Do you offer online courses?

The instructional method for each required MPH course varies by semester. Only some courses are offered 100% online. At this time no student should expect to complete all MPH degree requirements via distance learning. Classroom attendance is required to complete the majority of coursework.

What are the tuition rates?

Visit the Graduate/Professional Fees by College page (College of Medicine – Standard Programs) on the Office of the Bursar's website for tuition costs.

Do you offer any scholarships?

Current UC MPH students are eligible to apply for the James O’Reilly International Student Scholarship and the Dwight Tillery Fellowship program.

Do you provide any funding for graduate student tuition or expenses?

The UC MPH Program does not offer any graduate assistantships.

Can I take courses in the curriculum before being admitted to the MPH Program?

Students may take up to 12 credit hours prior to formal admission as a non-matriculated student. Credit for these courses may be counted towards the MPH degree. Students who exceed this limit may have to repeat courses to meet degree requirements. Students who wish to take classes for credit without being enrolled in a degree program must register directly through the UC Office of the Registrar.