White Coat Ceremony
The Arnold P. Gold Foundation White Coat Ceremony welcomes entering medical students and helps establish a psychological contract for the practice of medicine.
The event emphasizes the importance of compassionate care for the patient as well as scientific proficiency and includes several elements:
- Recitation of student-written oath which represents the public acknowledgment by the students of the responsibilities of the profession and their willingness to assume such obligations in the presence of family, friends, and faculty.
- Cloaking of students in their first white coats.
- An address by the recipient of the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award.
At the ceremony, students are welcomed by their deans, or other respected leaders who represent the value system of the school and the new profession the students are about to enter.
The cloaking with the white coat—the mantle of the medical profession—is a hands-on experience that underscores the bonding process. It is personally placed on each student's shoulders by individuals who believe in the students’ ability to carry on the noble tradition of doctoring. It is a personally delivered gift of faith, confidence and compassion.
2020 White Coat Ceremony
The Class of 2024 White Coat Ceremony has now been reimagined! The Class of 2024 will get not one, but TWO White Coat ceremonies during their time here at Cincinnati Medicine! The details of these two formats is as follows:
- VIRTUAL: Save-the-date for Saturday, September 5th! The Cincinnati Medicine community is eager to virtually celebrate the Class of 2024’s rite of passage into medical school. The new MedCats are encouraged to invite their family and friends to view this virtual ceremony from afar. Additional details are forthcoming!
- IN-PERSON: The in-person White Coat Ceremony will be re-scheduled to take place in June of 2022. At this time, students will be encouraged to invite their family, friends and loved ones to an in-person ceremony. This ceremony will be held immediately before students embark on their clinical rotations that result in the third year of medical school. This rite of passage is a very special time for rising third year students, and by hosting the postponed White Coat ceremony at this time, it is sure to highlight the work that each student has accomplished to-date and the next chapter they will soon embark upon!
2020 White Coat Virtual Ceremony