Good Samaritan Free Health Center
The Good Samaritan Free Health Center (GSFHC) is a volunteer-staffed clinic in Price Hill that serves adults in Hamilton County with low incomes who do not have Medicare, Medicaid, or private health insurance. The GSFHC serves as an alternative to the emergency department for patients with chronic health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure and helps fill a need for health-related services including preventative care, treatment, and wellness education.
The intern will...
- Sit with patients to explain and obtain financial assistance for referrals.
- Call to schedule referral appointments.
- Fax referrals to the appropriate hospitals.
- Document all referrals and calls in the electronic medical record.
- Ensure that patients have transportation and know how to get to their appointments.
- Call patients to follow up on their appointments.
- Mail letters to patients who cannot be reached by phone.
- Complete quality improvement projects in the Community Health Worker office.
- Explain to patients how they can obtain pharmacy services and medications.
- Complete occasional diabetes nutrition counseling.
- Order educational materials for the clinic.
- Perform office maintenance tasks.
- Interpret for Spanish-speaking patients (if bilingual in Spanish).
Intern Experience Summary