Breast and Cervical Cancer Project
The Breast and Cervical Cancer Project (BCCP) provides medical services for uninsured low-income women in the Greater Cincinnati area. Funded by a grant from the CDC, the BCCP offers free Pap smears, pelvic exams, clinical breast exams, and mammograms for eligible women. The criteria includes women who live in households with incomes less than 200% of the poverty level; have no insurance; and are 40 years of age or older for Pap tests, pelvic exams, and clinical breast exams and 50 years of age or older for mammograms. The BCCP also strives to educate woman about different factors that affect their health and the importance of continued and regular health care. The Urban Health Project intern helps to fulfill the community-oriented aims of the organization by providing outreach and education.
The intern will...
- Learn about breast and cervical cancer screening guidelines while working at the BCCP office during the first two weeks of the program.
- Improve their group presentation skills.
- Be exposed to the barriers faced by uninsured women trying to access cancer screening.
- Gain an understanding of the resources available to uninsured women and of how to access those resources.
- Update the BCCP Community Resource Guide for the next year's intern.
- Contact each of the community agencies (roughly 60) in the BCCP Community Resource Guide.
- Provide the community agencies with any or all of the following: brochures on breast and cervical cancer screening; information on the BCCP and how to refer clients; and an educational program for the agencies’ clients on the importance of cancer screening.
- Shadow a physician at the UC Cancer Institute.
- Spend a day on the mobile mammography van.
- Participate in regular meetings with the site supervisor to discuss progress.
- Primarily work from home.
- Have flexible hours with a schedule dependent upon when site visits or educational programs are scheduled.
Intern Experience Summary
- » Teresa Whitaker, Summer 2015
- » Melanie Wilson, Summer 2014
- » Alexandra Kreiselman, Summer 2013
- » Jess Dreicer, Summer 2012
- » Avante Roberts, Summer 2011
- » Emily Gay, Summer 2010
- » Megan Albertz, Summer 2009
- » Becky Huang, Summer 2008
- » Pamela Stemen, Summer 2007
- » Jessica Yarber, Summer 2006