Breast and Cervical Cancer Project
The Breast and Cervical Cancer Project (BCCP) provides medical services for uninsured low-income women in the Greater Cincinnati area. Funded by a grant from the CDC, the BCCP offers free Pap smears, pelvic exams, clinical breast exams and mammograms for eligible women. The criteria includes women who live in households with incomes less than 200% of the poverty level, have limited to no insurance, are 40 years of age or older for Pap tests, pelvic exams and clinical breast exams and are 50 years of age or older for mammograms. The BCCP also strives to educate woman about different factors which affect their health and the importance of continued and regular health care. The UHP intern helps to fulfill the community aims of the organization, by providing community outreach and education.
The intern will...
- Learn breast and cervical cancer screening guidelines while working at the BCCP office during the first
two weeks of the program.
- Improve their group presentation skills.
- Be exposed to the barriers faced by underinsured/uninsured women trying to access lifesaving cancer screening.
- Be exposed to resources available to underinsured/uninsured women and how to access those resources.
- Contact each of the community agencies (roughly 60) in the BCCP Community Resource Guide.
- Update the BCCP Community Resource Guide for the next year's student.
- Provide the community agencies with any or all of the following: mail information brochures on breast and
cervical cancer screening, provide and mail information on the BCCP and how to refer clients, schedule an education
program for the agency's clients on the importance of cancer screening.
- Shadow a physician in the Breast Center and the Dysplasia Clinic at the Barrett Cancer Center.
- Spend a day on the mobile mammography van.
- Attend weekly meetings with site supervisor to discuss progress.
- Work from home.
- Have flexible hours and their schedule will depend on when they will schedule site visits or education programs.
Intern Experience Summary